Click on the images for an enlarged picture
I created this site to show how I make my segmented bowls. My first bowl I turned I followed Kevin Neely's site. Since then I have been creating my own system and keep improving on it. I usually make the main segment ring first and then make the others to match it. I look up segmented bowls on google and try to figure out how each bowl was made and add my own touch.
All of my segment rings have been 12 segments to a ring. I use my compound miter saw to cut most of my segments. 360 degrees divided by 12 is 30 degrees so I set my saw on half of that or 15 degrees. For the compound segments I use a sled for my table saw as described on Kevin Neely's site. They can be cut on the miter saw but for now I use the sled.
On the above bowl, I made the main segment length 2 1/8 inches on the long side and used a 15 degree angle. This made a finished diameter of 7 1/2 inches. Each succeeding segment length I made 1/8 inch shorter. I started out with 4/4 lumber and ripped it in 1 inch widths except the paduak I cut 1/2 inch wide. The herringbone ring I made two inches wide by 2 1/2 inches and then cut them in half on a 15 degree angle. After glueing them together with the paduak I cut them down to the 2 1/8 segment length with the 15 degree angle. For each ring, I glue all the segments together and use hose clamps to hold it together until dry. I usually wait over night.
I then flatten each ring using a Wagoner Safety Planner in my drill press. I run the drill press at about 3000 RPM and this leaves a pretty flat surface. I had to put a couple of locknuts on the quill of the drill press so that I could control the height feed of the planer.
I used a face plate with a glue block and began glueing rings.
I glued the base and about four rings and then turned and sanded the inside and added more rings. Until I glue the top ring.
All glued up This above bowl is maple and paduak with black walnut veneer between each ring. I finish turning the inside and then start on the outside.
After turning the outside I sand it with 80 grit paper to about 220 grit and then finish with a coat of Deft Sanding Sealer And three coats of Deft Clear Gloss.
Back To Home Page
To Tommies Tips
To My Gallery
To My Workshop